A very warm welcome to your Caistor St Edmund and Bixley Parish Council website. As a result of the Boundary changes and the Community Governance Review Caistor St Edmund Parish Council merged with Bixley Parish Council on 1st April 2019 to form a NEW Parish Council “Caistor St Edmund and Bixley Parish Council“. As a result of this merger and the new Parish Council this website will be updated accordingly over the forthcoming months. Please bear with us whilst we undergo the necessary changes.
Caistor St Edmund (Venta Icenorum) is one of only three “greenfield” Roman regional capitals in Britain that were not succeeded by medieval and modern towns. The ruins are in the care of the Norfolk Archaeological Trust and managed by South Norfolk Council. It is assumed that the Roman ‘Stone Street’ runs from Dunwich on the Suffolk coast to Caistor St Edmund near Norwich. The parish church of St Edmund’s lies at the south east corner of the old Roman Town. Caistor St Edmund features on the Antonine Itinerary, a Roman “road map” of the routes around Britain.
Caistor Old Hall was built in 1612 for Thomas Pettus. During the 19th century it was owned by John Spurrell (son of William Spurrell, of Thurgarton, Norfolk). The River Tas passes under Markshall bridge, just north of the Roman camp, and then flows on towards Arminghall and Trowse.
Accounts for the year ended 31st March 2019